Spier wine farm in Stellenbosch has always been genuinely invested in showcasing and sharing South Africa’s creative art and cultural heritage with its guests. Hot off the heels of their Harvest Festival comes the 5th annual Spier Light Art showcase running from 10 March to 10 April 2023.
Since 2018, this unique art exhibition has provided a platform for local artists to share their work with a rarely used medium and shine a light on humanity and philosophies. This year’s instalment of Spier Light Art is no different. Explore an immersive nocturnal adventure in the gardens with experimental light, sound, and video artworks from both local and international artists.
While battling the irony of hosting a light art festival in the time of loadshedding, the commissioned artists reflect, ask questions and invite interactions from the audience through luminescent installations. Featured artists include some of the country’s acclaimed artists such as Lady Skollie, James Delaney, Hedwig Barry, and Seth Deacon among others.
The event is family-friendly, and a great way to experience the Winelands after dark.
Turn your visit into an experience with a range of drink and dining options on offer at the wine farm. All the general goods that guests usually get to enjoy, such as the picnics, the cafe, and the restaurant, will still be available during this event.
That being said, here are some recommendations to consider when visiting the amazing fifth edition of Spier Light Art.
- Pre-book a sunset picnic here to snack on before your Light Art walk. Guests can collect their picnic items from 6pm to 8pm
- Spier Farm Café is open daily until 9pm with a delicious build-your-own picnic offering, great coffee, artisanal ice cream and late-night treats
- Vadas Smokehouse & Bakery is open until 9pm on Wednesday to Saturday. It is advised that guests make bookings to avoid disappointment
- Bubbles and Braai Bar serves boerewors rolls and gourmet sarmies straight off the grill. They’re open daily until 9pm
- Wine Tasting on the deck is a classic activity when visiting this beautiful estate. The tastings are available daily until 6pm with extended hours on Thursday to Saturday until 7pm. The last tasting starts 1 hour before closing
Want to make the most of your visit? Opt for a stayover at Spier Hotel, the village-style accommodation in the Winelands that is all about rest and relaxation for both couples and families. The rooms are decorated in a classic style, each boasting a unique statement artwork by local artists. Units are clustered around six courtyards for some intimacy, each with its own swimming pool. There are also some great walking and cycling trails to get in some light early morning exercise.
Direct bookings get a complimentary glass of wine on arrival, a bottle of Spier wine in your room, and a wine tasting voucher. To book, see here.
When: 10 March – 10 April 2023
Where: Spier Wine Farm, R310, Baden Powell Dr, Lynedoch, Stellenbosch
Cost: Free entrance