There’s no shortage of scenic country wedding venues in the Cape Winelands, but Cellar 1848 in the Breede River Valley takes things to new heights.
Cellar1848 much-loved wine farm venue offers unique, fuss-free solutions for bridal couples, companies, and event organisers who want to put together a gorgeous occasion with minimal effort.
Elegant country glamour
With a restored 19th-century wine cellar, scenic mountains, and endless greenery – it’s no surprise that Cellar 1848 is one of the most sought-after wedding and events destinations in the Montagu Valley.
They can cater to up to 120 guests, allowing for a tranquil, intimate celebration and reception all in one space.
Design-wise, you can look forward to Cape Dutch architecture at its finest with original structures, white-washed walls, and beautiful natural light washing in from the windows.
Interiors are driven heavily by a romantic take with modern elements while playing up to the historical charm of the cellar.
The open-plan bar space spills out onto a stoep and set the scene for lazy sundowners where guests can take in views of vineyards and rugged mountains.
And if you’re planning an outdoor gathering for pre-drinks, the spacious lawn area with a dancefloor is surrounded by picturesque trees for great photo ops.
Steeped in history
Cellar 1848, previously known as Cabrieres, is one of the oldest family-owned wine farms in South Africa. The 200-year-old cellar has been meticulously restored in 2008 by Jean-Pierre and Jane Jordaan.
As descendants of the first French Huguenot to set foot on land at the Cape of Good Hope in the 1600s, the Jordaan family were the first to establish wine grapes in the Baden Valley where the farm and historical cellar are still situated today.
This Klein Karoo country venue is also one of the only buildings in the vicinity that survived the ravages of the Laingsburg flood in 1981 thanks to its striking location.
Recently Jane passed over the management of Cellar1848 to Belia King, founder of Leeftijd Catering and her culinary collaborator. Belia is a seasoned events expert in her own right who will oversee events while Jane concentrates on the wines and accommodation.
Top 5 things you’ll love about your Cellar 1848 wedding
- The sweeping vineyard setting. Couples will love the secluded feel of this wedding venue surrounded by endless rows of vines. There are a variety of spots for your wedding photos with far-reaching views over their vineyard to the mountains beyond
- The bespoke food menus. Owner-chef Belia King from Leeftijd Catering is renowned for their exceptional food menus, paired carefully with local wines. The team can craft a bespoke menu for your wedding anchored in the wide variety of fresh produce from local makers in the Montagu region
- The stylish accommodation options. Choosing a wedding venue with accommodation creates a fun, intimate, and relaxing lead-up to the wedding ceremony. Accommodation is available on the estate, as well as an entire private eco-reserve area with boma facilities for exclusive use further up in the kloof
- The attentive service. Cellar 1848’s support offering includes a laundry list of services from decor and flowers from reputable suppliers. Furthermore, the team is on standby to clean facilities owned by the property as well as items before and after the function allowing you to relax and enjoy this special time
- The fringe benefits. At Cellar 1848, venue hire includes exclusive use of the venue for reception and outside ceremony area on the farm, use of the bar, cutlery, crockery, crystal glassware, and additional décor elements for the reception; as well as French-style bistro tables and chairs, bar equipment, glasses, and more for the wedding cocktail hour