Three historical buildings, Joubert House, the Old Mission Church and the KWV Building Complex, comprise the Montagu Museum. Together they form an integral part of the architectural heritage of the town’s Long Street.
Frequent changes of temporary exhibitions are set against the backdrop of the museum’s large and diverse collection. Its huge facade has been restored to its former glory, and plans include a permanent collection of agricultural vehicles and artifacts in an enclosed courtyard behind the complex, as well as Art in the KWV Art Gallery close by.
The museum has a long history of documenting and preserving local herb lore, and the remedies prepared according to traditional recipes from locally sourced, sun-dried and hand-blended herbs. These have a loyal following among health-conscious customers locally and abroad.
Joubert House, built in 1853 on a sub-division of the original Uitvlucht farm, depicts the lifestyle of the latter part of the nineteenth century; while the Old Mission Church, built in 1907, houses an archive containing documents, photographs and Africana relating to the history of Montagu.
The Old Mission Church celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2007. Important permanent exhibitions here include the Indigenous Medicinal Plant research project, the Francoise Krige collection of paintings and memorabilia, and the T.O. Honiball collection of cartoons.