It was constructed in the late 1600's as a lookout post for enemy ships entering False Bay.
The museum is one of the notable structures along Muizenberg's Historical Mile, and is well worth a visit for those interested in South Africa’s early colonial history.
It features photographs of the Muizenberg area during the early 1900's, material on the Battle of Muizenberg, and a diorama. One of the original floor stones still has a series of boat-shaped grooves caused by an ochre-grinding stone, probably used by the San or Khoi inhabitants of the area.
This single storey stone and thatch dwelling is a restoration based on archaeological investigation into its 17th century appearance. It is run by the Muizenberg Historical Conservation Society who organize a historical talk every two months.